Friday, July 15, 2011

Yoga Breath

This week I've been concentrating on breathing during my practices -- (1) avoiding "ragged" breathing--knowing this a sign to back off and (2) expanding the breath-- taking deeper breaths and trying to reach more of the potential of the lungs. I also experimented with using the breath to accomplish a more challenging move. For example, breathing from a forward fold into a reverse swan dive or triangle to warrior.

Day 5--Shiva Rhea--40 min (DVD)
Day 6--Fat-Blasting Yoga--30 min (VHS)
Day 7--Gold's Gym Yoga--60 min (live and in person!)
I enjoyed the idea of finding the "sweet spot" with various postures.
Day 8--Train with Kelley Yoga Stetch--40 min (live and in person!)
Day 9--Power Zone--Mind Body Soul--40 min (VHS)
Day 10--Yoga Buns--30 min (VHS)
Day 11--Power Yoga--20 min (DVD)

I volunteered at Pisgah Lutheran Church Child Development Ministry this week. I read to 4 classes (1) 2 year olds (2) 3 year olds (3) 4 year olds & (4) K-5th Graders. I think I will be able to continue this for the next 3-4 weeks, and I'm hoping to incorporate some movement and breath with these experiences. To get them moving, I did the cheer "I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream!"

I Scream -- right lateral flexion
You Scream -- left lateral flexion
We All Scream -- "wash the window" with both arms
for Ice Cream -- chair pose, palms resting on thighs

No comments:

Post a Comment