Friday, July 8, 2011

Senior Moment

The Senior Yoga Training was GREAT! I enjoyed learning modifications to poses and how to use the chair, blocks, bolster, blankets and straps as props. I was better at cueing when we practiced teaching . . . still don't enjoy teaching folks "taller" than me . . . but it was a better experience with experience! My favorite idea is that the yoga we practiced was to keep folks able to function independently as life goes on. For example, twists simulate driving a car and looking over your shoulder to merge. We practiced step-by-step how to use the chair to get to the floor and then how to get back to standing again. If you have a fall (and live on your own), this is a must know so you can fall and "get up."

The instructor was energetic and very real. I thoroughly enjoyed her style. She shared pertinent research and debunked "yogi lore" when appropriate. It was worth the travel and the long day! I am thankful for this learning opportunity and look forward to incorporating some of these ideas in lessons and activities I plan in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment