Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Breathe

Breathing is a natural "reset" option that we don't nearly explore often enough .  .  .

This past week my daughter was upset when transitioning from one responsibility to another and my husband said, "breathe."

I was upset about a family squabble, and I was getting louder and louder as my emotions escalated and my husband again said, "breathe."

A parent at school stopped to share something, and I could tell she was trying to share something big. I gently said, "take a deep breath."

A kindergartner lost her head today and hit another child trying to do "her job."  We talked about impulsivity--how do you stop yourself when you have a bad idea?  We reviewed the breathing toolbox, and tried some choo choo breathing. 

I try to incorporate breath work in every lesson, and I'm always amazed how the entire class, the physical space, seems to calm with the deep breathing.

What an amazing tool in your toolbox?!  Breathe.  You can think more clearly.  Your body can work more efficiently.  And the price is right!

Sesame Street has a great Belly Breathing Song out on youtube!  My kids love it, and I love sharing. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mZbzDOpylA

The Breathing Toolbox -- https://sites.google.com/site/mrsbroam/home/breathing

Balloon Breath
Bees Breath
Breath of Joy
Bunny Breath
Candle--Flower
Choo Choo Breathing
Cooling Breath
Darth Vader Breathing
Dragon Breath
Flower Breath
Hands Flower Breath
Humming Circle
Square Breathing
Switch Breath


No comments:

Post a Comment